Sunflower Oil Painting

a small beautiful oil painting of sunflowers done with a palette knife on a cradled panel
Another Sunflower Painting, Oil on Cradled Panel, 6"x 6"
I did this little oil painting during my last class a couple weeks ago.  This is the third sunflower painting I have done.  I don't know what it is about sunflowers that make them so much fun to paint.  Maybe it's the chance to use bright yellows and oranges, and that they lend themselves so easily to a palette knife.  I am just starting to incorporate the palette knife into my paintings.  It really is a learning process but so exciting and fun!  I would like to get proficient enough to use them almost exclusively when painting plein air, especially when we are sailing, as there is really no clean up involved.  I had originally put in a part of the vase they were in but found it really did nothing for the painting.  It was just a distraction and I like it much better without it.  This is for sale on my website.
Click here for purchase information

Comments